Libraryberry

Saturday, February 26, 2005

It's News to ME!

ALA's Gorman Blasts Bloggers

Even I've heard of this guy...he wrote one of my textbooks. When the president-elect of our profession's leading organization goes out of his way to berate a new technology and those who practice it, I see the digital divide widening amongst the very people called to close it. Can these leaders be so far removed from me?

In case you missed it, here's an excerpt: "It is obvious that the Blog People read what they want to read rather than what is in front of them and judge me to be wrong on the basis of what they think rather than what I actually wrote. Given the quality of the writing in the blogs I have seen, I doubt that many of the Blog People are in the habit of sustained reading of complex texts. It is entirely possible that their intellectual needs are met by an accumulation of random facts and paragraphs. In that case, their rejection of my view is quite understandable." The full text of Gorman's article 'Revenge of the Blog People' is available at the Library Journal site or just click on the link above.

I'd like to point out a two sentence quote from 'Candidate' Gorman in March 2004: "I am committed to the profession and the mission of ALA. I am not a fan of new initiatives and themes."

-Interview with Michael Gorman by the Nominating Committee of NMRT as posted to NMRT-L. I found it at Confessions of a Mad Librarian and it includes the entire two page interview.

Maybe this should come as no surprise. Apparently, I'm going to have to pay closer attention. Damn!