Libraryberry

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Jack Sass!

We Get Letters

Dear Jack Sass,

Is it just me or does everyone else think they look and sound spastic on video? LOL! OK, I'll explain.

I had to write a self-critique after watching myself giving a speech that was taped, and really, I couldn't stand it. I was sitting there on the floor cringing and covering my eyes and face when watching myself on tape... does anybody else think I sound like a drunken high person? Is my voice really that penyek? Why do I sound so different to myself when I'm actually talking than when I'm listening to a playback of my voice?

Signed, Tami in Miami


Dear Tami in Miami,

It seems to me that normally I'd refer this to our Reference Guess department, but since I have a little experience with public speaking, I'm gonna wing it!

When your friends speak, you hear them through your ears. When you speak, you hear yourself not only through your ears, but through the nasal passages, sinuses and other relatively empty parts of your head. It's also quite common for adolescent girls to be more emptyheaded than the rest of us which exacerbates the problem. Of course, you could just have a crappy larynx and a 'tin' ear.

As for how you look, it seems to me that if mirrors are not forbidden where you live, you're probably okay. On the other hand, if you start taking all your meals in front of mirrors, that can be a problem too.

I do have a question about your use of the term 'penyek' which according to my research means 'flattened' in Malay. It seems to me I don't get it...but...I'm not as hip as I used to be.

Signed, Jack Sass!